Microtrak is GOOD

I'd have to say that I'm happy with the M-Audio Microtrack. While the first version of the operating software (updateable into flash EPROM) had bugs, the new version mostly corrects these goofs:

Now no "bump" sound in the phones when booting up
Switches the H and L selections on the level button (these had been reversed)
Shows a VU meter while playing back
Now shows a VU meter with a peak hold function while readying for recording (in pause)
The signal is audible in phones while in REC + PAUSE
Smoother metering and resolves some inaccuracies in graphic items on screen

[still has only 30v output for the mic phantom power. . .some mics won't work this low]

The whole concept of these new CF (Compact Flash) recorders is that they are quiet, having no moving parts, and are small, with high quality audio specs.

My goal is to capture "scratch audio" of the various groups I play trombone with. I had been lugging a laptop along with me, which provides lots of options for processing audio. The laptop interface has a phantom power capability which I haven't tested yet.

What I was hoping for here was to reduce the weight and bulk of the recording gear without sacrificing quality. I think I've got that. There would be a need to do more extensive micing and baffling to get really good captures of big bands, so I'm not really trying to do that.

This unit excels for someone like a regular with brass quintet playing or a college kid wanting to get snap recordings of his college ensembles. The unit comes with a CD that has Audacity, the open-source, free digital audio recording software. The manual is the other content on the CD. There is also a USB 2.0 cable, a power/USB adapter, a T-shape stereo (electrets) mic and a 64meg CF card.

I bought a one gig CF card right away so I'd be less limited as to time. I've been using the mpeg at 320 Kbps. The unit also goes up to 24bit 96khz audio which I'd not be likely to use.

Battery life is a bit whimpy, but then I'm normally setting up a power strip anyway for my music stand light. I can put the unit plugged in to get recharged. I'm thinking this is going to be pretty good. I'll post more as I do more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So I am busying myself with Music and Computing

Stay Tuned for Web Dev Stuff

More and more music ... seems to be a whirlwind