::: Roger Bobo Curiosity :::

::: Roger Bobo Curiosity :::
Here is former Los Angeles Philharmonic, tubist Roger Bobo (this is one of the finest musicians in the world!) writing about his experience playing Ravel's Bolero in a community orchestra.

It turns out that the trombonist playing the famous Bolero solo in that orchestra was my favorite inspiration, Dick Nash (responsible for all the jazz soloing with Henry Mancini). Not only that, but the conductor of this community orchestra in Eagle Rock, near L.A., was none other than Leo Arnoud. Mr. Arnoud was the trombonist to perform the treacherous Bolero solo at the debut of the work in Paris, in 1928. At the debut, Maurice Ravel, himself was conducting. . .

In music, things like this happen all the time. It shows us how the world can become small and direct communication can occur from very far away and very long ago. Next time I see Dick Nash I will bring this up to him.

Mr. Arnoud makes some very interesting points about what Mr. Ravel was thinking when he orchestrated a trombone solo at this point in the music. From Roger Bobo's very clear comments, it seems that the sound desired for the trombone would be much brighter and edgier than performers now conceive it.

Anyway, it's raining today and my boss thinks we may not go out computer shopping. Somehow that's not too bad with me. . . .

Stay tuned, I may post more and more today

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So I am busying myself with Music and Computing

Stay Tuned for Web Dev Stuff

More and more music ... seems to be a whirlwind